Can you deposit a paper check on Cash App?
I recently downloaded Cash App from the app store to pay my sister. She picked up some presents for our parents, and rather than use my PayPal account. I opted to try out Cash App. I appreciated how easy it was to hook up a bank account and transfer funds. So, of course, I wondered, can you deposit a paper check on Cash App?
I receive paper checks once or twice a month for freelance work or affiliate earnings through my blog. Currently, I deposit them online through my bank’s app but wanted to see if it was possible with Cash App and started digging around.
Can you deposit a paper check on Cash App?
Yes, you can deposit a paper check on Cash App with your mobile device. However, the mobile check deposit feature is newer, and through my research, I realized that not all Cash App users access to this functionality as of early November 2021.
Some users suggested that upgrading to the business account worked for them, but it sounds like you’re more likely to have more luck if you make sure your app is updated to the latest release.
I downloaded and set up my Cash App account from Google Play in early December 2021, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was available. To check and see if you have access to depositing checks, open the Cash App and click on the bank icon (lower left-hand corner on an Android).
Here, I can see several deposit options listed:
- Recurring deposits: These are added from your debit card (a credit card is not linkable here).
- Direct Deposit: This allows you to deposit your paycheck and other checks up to two days faster.
- Bank Transfer: A deposit from a checking account (like First Century Bank or Fifth Third Bank).
Cash App tells me I have to get my free Visa Cash Card to use these banking features with any of these options. So if you haven’t done so, get yours ordered so that you can start making deposits.
How to mobile deposit a check on Cash App
Depositing a paper check on Cash App involves some straightforward steps. The steps are very similar if you’ve ever deposited a check to your bank account with a mobile app.
- Step 1: Tap the bank icon (lower-left corner on Android) to access the balance page.
- Step 2: Scroll down and click the “Direct Deposit” option.
- Step 3: Enter the check amount.
- Step 4: Make sure that you’ve endorsed the back of the check and written “For Deposit Only” below your signature to avoid any issues with the check.
- Step 5: Next, take and submit an electronic image of the paper check, both front and back.
- Step 6: Submit your deposit, and wait until Cash App tells you that the submission was successful.
It’s that easy! The best part is that there are no fees for a mobile deposit, unlike when you cash a check at local stores, such as Walmart.
Are there limits to the number of deposits you can make?
Yes, you can only deposit up to five checks per month, including any that are rejected (more on that below). Also, there is a monetary limit of $3,500 per check and a total limit of $7,500 a month.
How long does it take to deposit a check on cash app?
Cash App generally takes about four business days to deposit the funds. However, it depends on the check type and can take anywhere from 1 to 15 business days. For example, any government checks will take longer. A stimulus check or tax refund check from the United States Treasury can take up to 15 days to deposit.
If you successfully submit your electronic check before 4:00 PM Pacific Time (7 PM ET) on a business day, it’s submitted that first business day. However, if you submit it after 4 PM Pacific Time, then it’s considered as successfully submitted the next business day.
Remember, Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays are not business days, so don’t count them when seeing how long the deposit takes to complete.
If you need to deposit a check faster, try using your local financial institutions or Walmart to get the funds quicker rather than this payment app.
Can you deposit paychecks in cash app?
Yes, you can deposit payroll checks via Cash App. Select the direct deposit feature to get your wages up two days early.
Is there a chance my paper check might be rejected?
Yes, there is a chance your check could be rejected, even after successfully being deposited. Let’s get into why this could happen and how to avoid it.
After Cash App receives the check, they can use a deposit hold to review the check. They then can not only to decline the check but reverse the decision to process your check up to two weeks later. (It’s important to keep the original check in a safe spot for just this reason.)
How to avoid a declined check
You can do several things to ensure your check gets accepted by Cash App without issues:
- The check must be written to you, or two you and someone else (if it’s a joint check).
- The check must be payable by a bank, credit union, or similar institution in the U.S. (sorry, no offshore accounts!)
- It must be in U.S. dollars and can’t exceed $3,500.
- All checks must be signed and not cashed or deposited before.
- It must be dated within the last 90 days in the past (not postdated).
- The check hasn’t been altered in any way, except for your signature on the back.
- Everything is legible, clear, and easy to read. This includes the MICR data, the account number, the date, the payee’s name, the signature, and your endorsement on the back. Learn more about the parts of a check here.
Don’t forget that if Cash App chooses to refuse the check, they can immediately deduct any funds they have already credited to your account. If they decide to remove the funds, you can end up with a negative balance, which they can choose to recover. This means you might want to wait two weeks to ensure the check has not only been accepted but approved as well.
Tips When Depositing a Paper Check with Cash App
Ensure all your contact information, including your phone number and email address, is in the app and up to date. If Cash App decides to decline the check, they’ll notify you through the app.
After depositing them, always keep all checks in a safe spot for two weeks (or more, to be super safe). If the check is rejected, you’ll need it to try and deposit again (or elsewhere).
And last but not least, if you’re having issues with unapproved checks, or any other feature on Cash App, I suggest that you contact their customer service. They usually respond within a day. To contact Cash App’s customer service, do the following:
- Tap on the profile icon in the upper-right corner (Android).
- Scroll down and click on “Support.”
Here, you can choose to search commonly asked questions and topics or scroll down and select “Start a Chat” to talk with a team member.
While you can’t really cash a check online instantly with Cash App, it is possible to deposit it and have the money within four business days. Other mobile apps are quicker, but if you use Cash App a lot, now you’ll know how to deposit on Cash App if the need appears!
Now that you know how to deposit a check on Cash App, here’s how to design your own debit card with Cash App.
A forty-ish web designer/developer by day, a budget & financial fanatic by night. I’m a mom, wife, avid reader, and DIY enthusiast who’s tracking our journey to debt freedom. Read More